Beginning Monday, Feb. 1, Metra’s Rock Island Line customers will have more travel options, including new early morning trains that were requested by riders and some additional express service.
The new schedule can be viewed here.
“Metra made a commitment to revise and enhance its schedules in response to customers as the region recovers from the COVID-19 pandemic, and that is precisely what we are doing,” said Metra CEO/Executive Director Jim Derwinski. “Our goal remains to provide the safest, most affordable, most reliable and most convenient service possible.”
The revised schedule includes a new inbound Train 400, which will depart Joliet at 4:30 a.m. and make stops along the mainline to Chicago’s LaSalle Street Station. Pre-COVID, that train had been particularly popular with construction workers who work downtown. Beverly Branch riders will also have a new early morning inbound Train 600, which will depart Blue Island at 5:20 a.m. and make all stops along the branch to LaSalle Street.
Other highlights of the changes include:
- A second new train on the Beverly Branch, Train 606, will depart Blue Island at 7:36 a.m. and make all stops along the branch to LaSalle Street.
- On the mainline, Train 306 will replace Train 408 and depart the Tinley Park-80th Avenue Station at 7:38 a.m., making all mainline stops to Chicago.
- A new morning inbound express Train 706 will depart Joliet at 7:30 a.m., make all stops to the Tinley Park/80th Avenue Station and then operate as an express to the 35th Street/“Lou” Jones Station before continuing to LaSalle Street.
- New midday inbound Train 616 will depart Blue Island at 2:06 p.m. and make all stops along the Beverly Branch.
- Outbound trains have also been added to the midday. Train 607 will depart LaSalle Street at 1:10 p.m., making all stops along the Beverly Branch to Blue Island, and Train 611 will depart LaSalle Street at 3:10 p.m., making all stops along the Beverly Branch to Blue Island.
- In the evening, Metra has added outbound Train 713, which will depart LaSalle Street at 4:25 p.m., express to Tinley Park-80th Avenue and then make all local stops to Joliet.
- In the early morning, new outbound Train 401 will depart LaSalle Street at 6:10 a.m. and arrive at Joliet at 7:20 a.m., making stops along the mainline, while new Train 601 will depart LaSalle Street at 6:30 a.m. and make all stops along the Beverly Branch to Blue Island.
In addition to the new services, multiple adjustments have been made to both the inbound and outbound schedules to renumber trains, adjust departure times and intermediate run times. Rock Island riders are strongly encouraged to closely examine the new schedule.
As the Chicago region rebounds from the pandemic, Metra continues to monitor ridership on all its lines and will continue to revise its schedules to accommodate increased passenger volumes as well as rider feedback about service needs.