Metra oversees all commuter rail operations in the 3,700-square-mile northeastern Illinois region, with responsibility for day-to-day operations, fare and service levels, capital improvements and planning.
This section contains fact sheets designed for quick reference on various aspects of Metra. Additional information on Metra’s operating statistics can be found in the menu on the left under the Operations and Ridership link.
- Positive Train Control (July 2017) Describes PTC technology and Metra's progress toward implementing this safety system.
- 75th Street Corridor Improvement Project (SouthWest Service)
- MD-W Fox River Bridge Improvement Project (July 2017)
- State of Good Repair (July 2017)
- UP West Third Main Project (February 2017)
- Performance Measures - Peer Comparison (December 2016)
- Chicago Union Station (January 2016) Overview of the Chicago Union Station Master Plan and Union Station design study
- Union Pacific North Line - Bridge Replacement and Ravenswood Station Rehabilitation
- State of the System (July 2016) Metra's State of the System report provides a broad view of Metra's infrastructure, operating environment, and customer base. Following chapters on Metra's origins, physical assets and CBD market, the document explores the Metra system on a line-by-line basis.
- Metra system map
- 2017 Metra Fact Book
- CREATE Program Brochure