Go mobile with Metra, CTA, Pace, and the Ventra App.
Metra customers now have a convenient new way to buy and display tickets with their smartphones – the new Ventra App.
Buy your Metra tickets on the go, anytime, anywhere. You can skip the ticket window and show your mobile ticket to the conductor whenever you ride Metra. It’s like having a Metra ticket vending machine in your pocket.
Metra mobile ticketing
You can now use your smartphone to buy any type of Metra ticket with a credit or debit card or a Ventra account. The mobile ticket is stored on your phone, and you’ll simply activate it when you board the train and display it on your phone’s screen when the conductor checks for tickets. And if you create a Ventra account in the app, you can buy Metra mobile tickets even faster and recover them if your phone is ever lost, stolen, damaged or replaced.
Plus, the Ventra App also lets you:
- Manage and add value to your Ventra accounts
- Purchase CTA and Pace passes
- Track Metra trains, CTA buses and trains and Pace buses
- Get account alerts and much more
Using the new Ventra app is easy
To buy and use a Metra mobile ticket directly from your smartphone:
- Select “Buy Metra Tickets” from the menu screen.
- Select your line, departure station, destination station and type of ticket.
- Create a Ventra account to pay (or use one you’ve already created) or proceed without an account and enter purchase information. Creating an account stores your information to speed future ticket purchases and protects your tickets.
- Your mobile ticket appears under “My Metra Tickets.”
- Board your train and activate your ticket.
Show the mobile ticket on your smartphone to the conductor when they come around.
If you need help, call Ventra Customer Service at 1-877-NOW-VENTRA (877-669-8368).
Tips for using Metra mobile tickets
- Create an account before you buy. Tickets you buy when you’re signed in to your account are protected in the event your smartphone is lost, stolen, damaged or replaced. You can transfer them to a new smartphone and keep on using them. A Ventra account also lets you pick from securely stored payment information, making purchases quicker and easier. If you don’t have a Ventra account, you can create one right in the app.
- Buy your ticket before you head to the train. This way, you can be sure you’ve got a ticket to use when you get to the train and are ready when the train crew checks your ticket – even if you’re boarding in a place where your mobile carrier doesn’t offer a good signal.
- Activate your ticket after you board. When you choose to activate and use a ticket, it’s immediately active and will be valid only for the length of your ride, so don’t do this before you get on the train. Once activated, it'll show as “In Use” for the duration of your ride and you’ll be ready to show your phone to the train crew as many times as needed. The crew will ask you to tap the screen; when you do, the ticket will change color, verifying to them that the ticket is valid.
- Make sure your device is charged. You’ll need to be able to show your ticket when asked by a train crew member at any point during your ride.
To learn more, visit the step-by-step instructions below.