The first thing you’re going to see when you open the Ventra app on your smartphone is a screen that gives you three options.
- The best option, the one we are encouraging you to take, is the one that says, “Create Account.” Why? It’s free and it’s easy. And creating a Ventra account allows you to take full advantage of all the app’s features:
- For Metra customers, it allows you to store your credit or debit cards, or transit benefits debit card, so you don’t have to enter the information every time you buy a Metra mobile ticket.
- It allows you to split your payment between two cards – very handy for those who use a pre-tax transit benefits debit card that does not cover the full cost of a monthly pass.
- It allows you to recover your mobile tickets if your phone is lost, stolen, damaged or replaced.
- It allows you to use a Ventra card to buy Metra tickets (but a Ventra card is not required – you can just use any credit or debit cards if you prefer).
- For CTA and Pace customers who use a Ventra card, it allows you to manage your Ventra card’s transit accounts. For instance, you can check your balance, add value, add passes, get account notifications and more.
- You can even store your favorite train and bus routes for quick access to transit tracker information.
- The “Log In” option is for those customers who have already created a Ventra account. If you use the CTA and/or Pace and already have a Ventra card registered with a Ventra account, just use the login and password that you created when you first registered.
- The “Skip” option at the top of the page is for those riders who decide they don’t want to create a Ventra account. You can still buy Metra tickets through the Ventra App with your credit card. Without an account you’ll have to enter your credit card information each time and your tickets won’t be protected if your phone is lost, stolen, damaged or replaced. You also won’t be able to store favorite train and bus route information for quick access to transit tracker.