Connecting Service Options
Monthly Pass holders can add a connecting fare option to their order for convenient travel between Metra and CTA or Pace.
Children's Weekday Fares
Children ages 7 to 11 save 50 percent over One-Way fares. Children under 7 ride free when accompanied by a fare-paying adult (up to three children free per adult). Under no circumstance will children under 7 years of age be permitted to travel alone.
On weekends and select holidays, kids ride FREE with Metra's Family Fares. Up to three children age 11 and under ride free with each fare-paying adult. Purchase a ticket or use your Monthly Pass or 10-Ride Ticket as the adult fare. The $7 Saturday or Sunday Day Pass, good for unlimited rides on either Saturday or Sunday, and the $10 Weekend Pass (available on the Ventra app only), good for unlimited rides on both weekend days, can also be used as the adult fare.
Group Travel - Temporary Restrictions
Prearranged groups of 25 passengers or more can save up to 50 percent off the cost of regular One-Way fares. Group rates are available on weekdays between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. and after 7 p.m., and anytime Saturday, Sunday and national recognized holidays (restrictions may apply). COVID restrictions require members of groups to separate by 6 feet (except for members of the same household) and all passengers over 2 years old are required to wear a mask at all times while on the train.
- Groups must consist of a minimum of 25 passengers and cannot exceed 70 passengers (35 for each side of railcar).
- No more than one group on the train at the same time. Metra will contact the group within two business days of receipt of Group Travel Request Form.
- Entire group must be together on platform ready to board train.
- Group requests approvals will be made on a first-come basis.
- Minimum 21-day advance notice required.
- If the size of your group meets the requirements specified above, please complete the necessary Group Travel Request Form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will be contacted within two business days.
- Full payment (checks only) and final headcount must be received a minimum of 14 days in advance of your trip. Changes to the headcount cannot be accommodated. Checks must be payable to Metra-Group Travel and mailed to Metra’s Passenger Services Department at 547 W. Jackson Blvd – 14th Floor, Chicago, IL 60661
- A Group Travel Boarding Pass will be issued to you once full payment is received. Boarding Pass must be presented to crew members upon boarding.
- A 24-hour notification of a cancellation is necessary for a refund.
- Click here to view and print a Group Travel Request Form.
- Questions? Call a Group Travel Representative at 312-322-6772
*Metra is not responsible for any inconvenience resulting from delayed, canceled or missed train and/or connections due to mechanical failures, accidents or track obstructions.
Senior Citizen/Disability Fares
Senior citizens 65 or older, customers with disabilities and Medicare cardholders who have an RTA-issued Reduced Fare Permit are eligible for a reduced fare ticket. If you are enrolled in the Illinois Circuit Breaker program and have an RTA-issued Ride Free Circuit Permit, you are eligible to ride free. If you are not in possession of a RTA Reduced Fare Card you must contact the RTA to apply 312-913-3110.
Full time students enrolled in a grade school or high school can purchase a reduced One-Way, 10-Ride or Monthly Pass. Student fares are in effect at all times. When purchasing a ticket, students must present a valid letter of certification from their school (on school stationery) or present a valid school I.D. (both are valid through the end of the calendar year) bearing the student's name, school name and authorized signature. Student identification card or letter of certification must be displayed along with the ticket to the conductor. Failure to do so will result in full fare payment. Student tickets are not transferable. Any questions concerning the above may be directed to Metra Passenger Services at 312-322-6777.
All fare policies concerning standard student fares also apply to home-schooled students. To meet documentation requirements, the student must present a letter with the name and address of the person providing the home schooling as teacher/principal at the top, signed and notarized. Click here to download form.
U.S. Military Fares
Military personnel may purchase One-Way or 10-Ride Tickets at a reduced fare provided they present proper military identification indicating they are on active duty. These privileges are extended to all branches of the military: Marines, Air Force, Army, Navy and Coast Guard. Military fare tickets are sold at Metra ticket offices, on the Ventra app or on trains.